Reporting Our Sustainable Value
Social and environmental performance is just part of our business
2019 Sustainability Highlights
Sustainability is one of our five core values. To us, sustainability means integrating actions into our current and future plans that recognize the long-term impacts of our operations on the environment and society. TransAlta has been reporting on sustainability for over 25 years.
We report our sustainability information in an integrated annual report, which combines our sustainability and financial performance. This is an industry leading practice. We are one of only a few companies to do this in North America. We believe sustainability impacts should be evaluated, managed, valued and communicated alongside our financial impacts and in turn show how they create financial, environment and societal value. Highlights from our 2019 sustainability reporting include:
- Reporting on over 80 social and environmental key performance indicators;
- Third-party assurance of key material ESG or sustainability data;
- Utilizing leading ESG reporting frameworks, including Integrated Reporting (IR), Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) and Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) to help inform discussion and provide context on how ESG affects our business;
- Announcement of our transformative $2 billion Clean Energy Investment Plan, which includes approximately $800 million of renewable energy projects already under construction;
- Commissioned two new wind farms in eastern US – our 90 MW Big Level and 29 MW Antrim wind farms;
- Continued progress on our plans to transition our coal plants to gas — in line with our clean power growth strategy;
- Continued progress on development of our first utility-scale battery storage project in Alberta, which will be commissioned in 2020 and will be the first utility-scale battery storage project in Alberta;
- GHG reductions of 21 million tonnes of CO2e since 2005, which is a 50 per cent reduction over that time period. On a percentage basis (not absolute), this is more than any country has achieved during the same period;
- Prevention of over 1.6 million tonnes of CO2e emissions in 2019 through renewable energy production, equivalent to removing approximately 340,000 cars from the road in 2019;
- Sulphur dioxide emission reductions of 77 per cent over 2005 levels;
- Annual revenue generation from the sale of environmental attributes (Alberta carbon offsets and RECs) in 2019 of approximately $28 million;
- A record safety year, which included a Total Injury Frequency of 1.12 and a Total Recordable Injury Frequency of 0.73;
- Female participation or gender splits for our executive officer team and Board of 50 per cent and 33 per cent, respectively;
- Community Investments totaling approximately $2.1 million, to community organizations like Calgary Stampede, United Way and many more; and
- Updated long-term sustainability targets for 2020 and beyond, highlighted by new gender and ESG targets.
In 2020, we released our fifth integrated report, which covers our financial and sustainability results in 2019. This is a voluntary practice and supports the need for better and more timely sustainability or ESG information for investors and stakeholders. We are proud to be one of only a handful of companies in Canada to integrate financial and sustainability disclosures.
We are on the leading edge — very few companies put their financial, people, environmental and safety goals all together in one integrated annual report.
Reporting our sustainability results alongside our financial and operational performance reflects how central sustainability is to how we do business.
Key Sustainability Information
- Business Model, Strategy, and Materiality
- CEO Letter to Shareholders
- Sustainability Performance Indicators
- Sustainability Assurance Statement
- 2019 Sustainability Targets Update
- 2020 and Long-term Sustainability Targets
- Climate Disclosure aligned with TCFD
- Human Capital Performance
- Intellectual Capital Performance
- Social and Relationship Capital Performance
- Natural Capital Performance
- Governance and Risk Management
- Plant Summary