Routing is a process that incorporates the best available information with the goal of finding a route that has the lowest overall impact. This includes understanding potential impacts or features that may be unique to the Windrise Transmission Project area. Starting with many options, these are then narrowed down to allow for a more detailed review of the route(s) identified.
Criteria considered throughout the process included, but was not limited to:
- Location of residences;
- Existing infrastructure such as roads, transmission lines and wind turbines;
- Environmental considerations such as wildlife and native grasslands;
- Technical design such as turbine set back areas and clearances;
- Land types and terrain;
- Public and stakeholder feedback;
- Indigenous interests;
- Cost and length; and
- Private and public land use.
A map of the route approved by the Alberta Utilities Commission can be found here.
At a Glance
- Location: MD of Willow Creek, 20km south of Fort Macleod
- Technology: 138,000 volts
- Length: 21km
If you have any questions or wish to discuss the Windrise Transmission Project, please contact us:
Alberta Electric System Operator (Project need)
Alberta Utilities Commission (Regulatory process)