1920 – 1929
Electricity was now being put to many new uses – from powering street lamps to motion pictures – and it contributed to the exploration and early economic success of Alberta.
Electricity was also transforming daily life at home, on the farm and at work with the introduction of water pumps, refrigerators, milking machines and stoves.
In 1924, engineer Geoffery Gaherty joined the company’s Board of Directors and spearheaded our early coal acquisitions. Gaherty also developed the Spray River hydro system.
In the mid-1920s, our transmission system expanded, linking Calgary with Seebe, High River and Blackie. Franchises were signed with 15 Alberta towns, hamlets and villages including Claresholm, Nobleford, Stavely, Taber and Vulcan.
An “artificial-gas-driven power plant” was purchased from Olds Electric Company. Here, coal was converted to gas, which then powered the plant. The High River electric plant and Wataskiwin Utilities were also acquired. The Ghost River hydro plant was constructed in 1928.
Calgary in the 1920s was booming and downtown was serviced by electric streetcars. Those familiar with Calgary will recognize this view, looking north on 1st Street SW at its intersection with 9th Avenue.